Saturday, June 13, 2009

Week 4

Last Tuesday was probably one of the best days of my life. Every year several of my 8th grade teachers bring a group of students out to Washington DC to experience our nation's capital. I was able to meet with the class, talk to them about the current legislative calendar, the legislative process, what the congressman is up to, what it is like for a young kid from Iowa to live and work in DC, etc. It was a fantastic discussion, lots of good questions, and a great start to my day. Later that afternoon I had the good fortune of being able to meet Congressman Aaron Schock, a 27-year-old freshman from Peoria, Illinois. He brought me into his office, we had a wonderful conversation, and he was very encouraging of my future pursuits. Then, to top it off, I was able to get together with a babette Stetson alum for dinner. All in all, a great day and a great week. Today I volunteered my time to come into the office on the weekend, meet with a constituent, handle some issues, and give them a tour of the Capitol and surrounding area.

We've been having a lot of constituent correspondence on so many issues--some good, others not so good. But addressing constituent issue is the job of one's congressman and working in Steve King's office has taught me how to do that.

It's amazing that I'm down to just a few weeks left! I hope the next few are even better than this week.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Zach! I think it is amazing that you were able to teach young students about your major. I know how much fun that can be! And your little sermon about the lifestyle of service the previous week was good too! An internship in D.C.? I am jealous!

    Good Job :D

    ReplyDelete