Saturday, June 20, 2009

My (Belated) SLI Experience!

As I walked into the Hollis Center on June 3rd, 2009 at about 3pm, the Rinker Fieldhouse was filled with eager visitors collecting their items for room and board. Our SLI Summer Work Team had labored non-stop these past two weeks and our fingers were still numb from cutting out embellishments for the campus. Everyone I knew at this time was running around somewhere trying to get the final touches completed. At long last, we were about to begin the highlight our of mission …
The Summer Leadership Institute Conference was an opportunity for Bonner Leaders, Congressmen, Student Interns, and Administrators to come together for one purpose: growth in knowledge, interaction and camaraderie. My experience, however, was one that many of the attendants did not encounter.
Being on the SLI Summer work team was an experience like no other. As an SLI Coordinator for the Service Project Group and a member of the Social/Marketing group, I had achieved an understanding about how to handle various, last-minute conflicts that had frequently presented themselves to me. I had to overcome my challenges in event planning and efficiency in completing my responsibilities during times of high anxiety and stress. From making phone calls and researching for service opportunities to the numerous brainstorm and check-up meetings with each group, I had a great load on my shoulders! But, with the help of Mary Gossett, the team, and many very early mornings, we were able to succeed to the fullest measure. All of the service projects went wonderfully; the workshops were always on schedule and even the social events were a giant success! And despite our recurring worries about the success of the SLI Conference, in the end, we were worried for no reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment