Saturday, June 27, 2009

All Good Things Must Come to an End...They Say

I just finished my final week in Congressman Steve King's office. I would certainly say it was an enjoyable week...but I also felt a little mechanical and robotic. Congress will be in recess next week for the 4th of July, and it was busy beyond expression. According to one source I heard there were over 1 million calls made to the House on Thursday alone and I can guarantee you that Friday was that much busier. The Senate has dealt largely with health care over the past few days/weeks (in addition to a credit card bill and the Sonia Sotomayor nomination). The House has been doing appropriations. However, late Thursday and all day Friday was consumed by one issue: cap and trade. Those million plus phone calls on Thursday (and million more, I'm sure, on Friday) were 99 percent devoted to people's thoughts on cap and trade. Considering my congressman's political party and personal thoughts on the issue, it's safe to say that all but a handful of calls to our office were in opposition to H.R. 2454, also known as the American Clean Energy and Security Act (ACESA), cap and trade, cap and tax, or Waxman-Markey. Much of the mobilization to call members of congress was driven by the efforts of industry experts and the talk radio circuit. Talk radio played a pivotal role last summer in exposing and defeating comprehensive immigration reform. The only reason Waxman-Markey passed the House this time is because the House leadership feels they have the political capital to do so: a ready and willing president to sign the bill. However, prospects aren't looking so strong in the Senate. And even if an energy bill passes the Senate it will likely have to go to a conference committee so that differences between the House and Senate versions can be hammered out.

It was honestly very difficult for me to finish up work on Friday. I will really miss the people in the office; the atmosphere of the office and the House in general; and I will certainly miss being on the inside of the political process. I know I need to get back there...and I know in what capacity I need to do so. I just need the appropriate timing and opportunities to work themselves out.

It was a distinct honor to serve the people of the 5th District of Iowa. I will miss being there; I will miss life in DC. But I will take away so many great memories of the wonderful and unique experiences I was able to have during my short time in Washington. At the same time, I am really looking forward to getting home to the greatest state in the Union to see my family and friends and enjoy my last few weeks of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment