Saturday, June 20, 2009

Meeting Mania: Summer of Service Week 1 and 2

These past two weeks of S.o.S. in the Center for Service Learning have been great. I have to admit that I was a bit nervous when I heard that our general objective was to create and present a workshop for about all of our community partners—so far we have counted about 102 of them! But, I am sure that our team, Anjum, Angie, Mary Gossett, and I (and with the guidance of gurus Amanda Reece and Savannah Atkins in Web 2.0 tools), we shall be victorious.
Our first meeting was last week Thursday, June 11th and it was very productive. Mary Gossett, whom I guess you can say is our coordinator for our project, got us started with our first assignment: The Community Partner Database! This database contains all of our community partners and our job is to update their profiles from phone number to academic interests. Thankfully, we just split up the 102 profiles between the three of us. I could not imagine doing all 102 Community Partners by myself!
This week, our Summer of Service meeting was held yesterday Friday, June 19th. I think this meeting was better than the last one! It was filled with heated debate, compromise, brainstorming and best of all, laughter. We got through finalizing workshop dates, specializing Community Partners to issue areas and even creating a basic outline of our workshops!
And although I am still a bit nervous about presenting our workshop, I am so excited about this experience and the numerous benefits I shall receive from this opportunity as a summer intern for the Center for Service Learning. Not only will I finally understand what Web 2.0 really means, but I will also partake in creating a stronger relationship between Stetson students and our community partners. As a result, community service will be more efficient and the opportunities for service will be readily available!

No comments:

Post a Comment