Thursday, January 28, 2010

Service Quotation

If you want happiness for a lifetime - help the next generation.” -Chinese Proverb

As I was trying to sift through the many quotations on service, trying to find one that encompassed my feelings about being a servant to those in need, I realized that there were too many to choose from. Service is something that I am passionate about, especially because there are so many different ways to do it. I came across this Chinese proverb, and it really called out to me. I would say that most of the service that we perform is going to better the next generation after ours. Whether it be through volunteering at an elementary school or after school program, or helping an elderly couple interact with their grandchildren, or even volunteering with a parenting program that teaches parents how to properly nurture and care for their children. All in all, our service is going to help the next generation so that we can live in a better world ourselves and leave a legacy and image for the next generation to follow.
One of the key factors in helping the next generation is empowerment. Through empowering the people of today and teaching them how to serve others as a way of life, and helping themselves at the same time, I think that our service goals can be continually fulfilled. This hope of fulfillment is what keeps me serving others even when sometimes I feel like I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment