Sunday, January 31, 2010

Another week...

I just started my new CLA: Student Coalition to End Homelessness. It's amazing how much you learn when you join organizations. Last semester I didn't really feel like I found a place that I could consider a location of my own, none really outshined the rest. However, I'm really enjoying my time working with the Coalition. Not only is everyone full of energy (Lauren and Mary) but it's a change you can see and one that you feel. We take for granted having a dorm to cover our heads at night when huge storms blow limbs off trees and many of us complained because the power went out for about an hour, but what about those people who are sleeping in makeshift tents in the woods? It's situations like this that make me think about where I'm at as a student.
I really enjoy working at the Neighborhood Center and it's nice to have the constant reminder that while people may look to you to help solve their problems, you have to realize that you can't help everyone. It's hard to see that sometimes but it's a slice of reality when you have to turn people away for whatever reason. The Coalition also works with other areas to hand out food and I can't wait to start that on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment