Saturday, May 30, 2009

Week 2

Week 2 was a great week. Congress was not in session this week due to the Memorial Day holiday, so from a legislative stand point things were pretty low key. Low key would be an understatement in describing how busy the week went, however. Steve King has been in the media many times the past few weeks discussing a variety of issues: Nancy Pelosi and the CIA, gay marriage in Iowa, investigating ACORN, among other things. This has led to a large number of correspondence from constituents and others from around the country--some positive, some negative.

Confidentiality precludes me from getting into the specific details of the constituent casework issues I handle; but I can tell you that there are many people struggling with a whole host of issues and many people unhappy with the state of the economy and their livelihood. Rather than letting people mire in THEIR misfortune, it goes a long way to realistically encourage people and lift their spirits. I'm all for the individual, the entrepreneurial spirit, and the exceptionalism of this country. And let me tell you, it is that mindset--not government mandate and fiat--that is going to lift us out of this downturn.

While I am not building an orphanage for starving AIDS patients halfway around the world, there are people struggling even in white, Christian conservative Iowa. This internship experience has gone far in helping me realize the importance of focusing on local issues, whatever your locale happens to be. It isn't always about aspiring to be a passport-stamping globetrotter, not that those service projects are any less worthwhile. Service is not an event, an activity, or a trip; service is a lifestyle. Honing my people skills and working to be kind, caring, and honest with people in every interaction I have has been one of things I've learned over the past few years, and it has been amazing putting that into play wherever I go.

My internship in Washington has been no different. In fact it has made it harder...in a good way. Rather than being able to deal with people face to face, much of my time throughout the day is spent on the phone and computer, talking with constituents, handling their concerns and struggles with federal, state, and local agencies, etc. It has been a very formative experience learning how to put that M.O. into play without being able to put my interpersonal touch on it. I do get my fair share of dealing with people face to face, however. I serve as the "face" of the office; I'm often the first person that people see when they come into the congressman's office; I hope that I make rather than break their experience.

Well, I've rambled on more than my summer of service funding requires (haha). I am very glad to hear about the experiences, struggles, and triumphs of other SoS-ers. Keep up the good work and keep working to make your summer of SERVICE into a LIFESTYLE OF SERVICE.

P.S.--Since Congress was out of session this week, we were able to dress down a bit. Jeans and a shirt or polo is a nice break from a stuffy suit and tie. Since this was the most irrelevant part to my post, I saw it fit to footnote it! Take care everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment