Friday, May 22, 2009

Week 0.5 and Week 1

My internship is with the office of Congressman Steve King, a Republican from the 5th District of Iowa. The 5th District, which is my home district, encompasses the western third of the state. My congressman is pretty much the coolest guy ever. I'm a big fan and am humbled to have this opportunity. I began work on Thursday, May 14th so I now have a week and a half under my belt. I have a variety of responsibilities--constituent correspondence including phones calls, letters, emails, and faxes; writing, edit, formatting, printing, enveloping (yes I just made that into a progressive tense verb), and mailing various documents; leading constituent tours of the Capitol complex; and any other conceivable project the staff can think of including buying the congressman cigars for his birthday. The people I work with are some of the most intelligent, insightful, and kind people I've ever met. It has only been a week and a half, but I know that this experience will go by too quickly and will be one I won't soon forget or unappreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment